Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Heroes 1.2


All of the cool kids already know this, but your humble host thinks it's time to spread the word.  David Millward, author of Heroes, is republishing his "role playing game set in the dark ages."  Although he might make available the original version, it is a 1.2 version he definitely intends on releasing.  You can read about it at the official website.

Although the game provides a fictional setting, Heroes is firmly based upon tenth century Europe.  You want historical accuracy?  Heroes has it.  Your humble host is given to understand that Millward has been a teacher – he isn’t some punk who read a couple of Time-Life books and decided to write a role-playing game.  Historically accurate and it's old school; Millward supplies details that modern RPGs might gloss over or intentionally exclude.  Evidently, you can lose experience points by not carousing!

Alas, I must release my inner pedant.  The game is meant to take place (or at least begin) in the year 950 AD [sic].  "AD" means, of course, anno Domini – indicative of the Christian era.  Properly, AD should precede the year, not follow it; thus, the year AD 950.  Yes, I know that some "authorities" say that AD following the year is acceptable.  However, unless and until Fowler’s approves of this deviant practice, I will stand firm in my righteous pedantry.  Thank you for your indulgence in this matter.

Anyway, if you have any interest, please visit the site and contact Millward.

4 comments:

  1. An original copy is currently for sale on worldwide ebay -

    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heroes-Dark-Ages-RPG-/280893806199?pt=UK_Toys_RolePlaying_RL&hash=item4166935677

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bidding starts at £29, which is like $45. The same seller is offering Skyrealms of Jorune at the same starting bid.

      Delete
  2. What do you guys think the odds of this working on my wife? "I swear honey, I don't really want to go carousing but if I don't I'm going to lose xp. I mean you've got to do what you've got to do."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zilch. Maybe if you were a tenth century hero instead of a twenty-first paint seller you might get away with it, but I doubt it.

      Delete