Tuesday, July 10, 2012

SYNNIBARR!!!


It's a wonderful time to be alive.

As I announced to my readership last year, Raven c. s. McCracken has been working on a new edition of The World of Synnibarr ; however, I had no idea it would be ready so soon.  McCracken has launched a Kickstarter project for the new Synnibarr (which apparently carries the subtitle of “Invicta”).  I am so excited by this development, I have placed a Synnibarr Kickstarter widget in the side column (temporarily) above the “Where's Dave?” appeal.

The project home page says, “The eagerly anticipated -and simplified- redesign, is in the final beta-testing phase a full year ahead of schedule.”  McCracken estimates publication in September 2013.

The goal is $55,000 and just about $3,000 has been pledged so far.  That means McCracken has three weeks to get $52,000.  I love me some midnight sunstone bazooka, but I'm not optimistic about reaching this goal.  Maybe McCracken should have concentrated on one book at a time; start small and let the enthusiasm snowball.

McCracken's no quitter.  So if this project isn't successful, I know it won't be the end of the 'new' Synnibarr.  However, I can't image how severe the setback will be without this funding.  All we can do is hope, “For we have the hearts and imaginations, but not the power or frontiers...”

Praise Aridius!

9 comments:

  1. I LIKE CINNAMONBARS - CRUSH EM UP FOR MY SERIAL...TASTY!

    -NUNYA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raven should open a coffee shop. That way the world could have Synnibarristas.

      Delete
  2. I'm seriously contemplating a $3 buy-in, just so I can access the comments section of his kickstarter...

    ReplyDelete
  3. At first I wondered why he needed $55,000, when the minimum cost to produce an RPG is zero. Then I saw that this new system favours role-playing over roll-playing. So I think the money isn't to make the game, but to send it back in time to 1990.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't forget keychains. Those things don't grow on trees.

      Delete
  4. According to rpg.net Rifts was 1990, and Synnibar 1991. So the claim on the Kickstarter page that this was the first fantasy/science fiction game is false, even if you take a very narrow definition of what they mean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the first listed copyright for Synnibarr is 1980. However, your point is well taken, the "first" fantasy/science fiction game is Blackmoor.

      Delete
  5. Ello, Raven here...

    Synnibarr: Invicta is in full playtest mode for the next year...

    And Synnibarr was first published in 1980...how long do you think it took a teenager to invent the game mechanics, write 500 pages and self produce it?

    Fatesfist!

    Ima writin....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Raven here.

    So...Has anyone played the new version of Synnibarr yet?

    ReplyDelete